Farming With Nature - Permaculture and Aquaculture with Sepp Holzer

Sally V Sally V

Farming With Nature - Permaculture and Aquaculture with Sepp Holzer

A film about the sustainable use of water by Austrian farmer Sepp Holzer. Fishponds on a mountain farm: an unusual sight at these altitudes. On an Austrian mountain, permaculture farmer Sepp Holzer created more than 70 ponds and wetland areas covering about 3 hectares.

This is a clip from the film "Farming With Nature" about permaculture farmer Sepp Holzer. We went to film Sepp Holzer for about 2,5 years. He created an edible landscape on 1500 m above sea level. Between the pinetree monocultures of Austria he built the biggest functioning permaculture landscape of Europe.

RichardAC RichardAC

Re: Farming With Nature - Permaculture and Aquaculture with Sepp Holzer

Great postings, SilentNight - and how appropriate on today of all days in light of the world celebration of water at the LiveH2o.org concert celebration!

Namaste!

SaltyDawg
Sally V Sally V

Re: Farming With Nature - Permaculture and Aquaculture with Sepp Holzer

Thank you SaltyDawg. I have been fascinated by permaculture ever since I saw the Sepp Holzer videos.  My demanding career took up all of my time before and I was content with potted plants.

Have you read Anastasia and the Ringing Cedar Series by Vladmir Meagre'?

Now, I am evermore fascinated by living close to nature, observing nature and trying out permaculture.

I found the following in article on Sepp Holzer....

In the coldest part of Austria, a farmer is turning conventional wisdom on its head by growing a veritable Garden of Eden full of tropical plants in the open on his steep Alpine pastures.

Amid average annual temperatures of a mere 4.2 degrees Celsius (39.5 Fahrenheit), Sepp Holzer grows everything from apricots to eucalyptus, figs to kiwi fruit, peaches to wheat at an altitude of between 1,000 and 1,500 metres (3,300 and 4,900 feet).

... "Once planted, I do absolutely nothing," Holzer told Reuters. "It really is just nature working for itself - no weeding, no pruning, no watering, no fertiliser, no pesticides."