For the love of gardening

leona910 leona910

For the love of gardening

This summer I left my government job, left my family, left my hometown and moved to Texas to be with my soul mate. While it was difficult to leave all that behind and discard the accumulated material things that I had ammassed over the past 25 years and pack what was left into a 5 x 8 trailer... one of the hardest parts was to leave my garden.

I stood in my garden and wept as I knew the plants I was abandoning would flower and produce without me and eventually the weeds would take over. Before long there would be little evidence of the love that had gone into my soil and my plants. While I prayed that whomever took my rental house after me would also have a love of my garden, I had no strong sense that the garden would continue to be cultivated. I told my neighbors to please help themselves to whatever the garden produced.

Once I arrived here in Texas, I shared with my love that my heart broke as I said goodbye to my garden. He did the sweetest thing...the next day we went to the garden center and he got me some leggy tomato plants a few herbs and a sad looking watermelon plant. The women at the garden center cautioned me about the summer heat and the special challenges of gardening in such a hot climate. They told me I would do better to wait until fall. Undaunted, I planted my little plants that seemed as weary and displaced as I felt and also germinated some seeds from the packets I had brought with me. I called it Garden Henge as I had placed them in a double circle around a copper spinning water source that I had brought with me from my old garden. Despite 30 days of 100 degree plus days with nights that barely got below 90 and not so much as a sprinkle of rain... they grew. My beloved shared with me that he had little hope for my garden when I started it, but it seems to him that my love and shear will had caused the plants to grow.

I told my beloved that I wanted a raised bed to give them more room to grow and we constructed a lovely hexagon to which we added 6 raised pentagons in an outer ring. It has a fluid appearance and from above appears it may have landed in the yard. My little plants have thrived despite the challenges and now I am looking on this fall equinox at a fall harvest that while not as large as the harvest I may have netted in my well cultivated garden in my old home is enough to make this feel like home.

This is a picture of Garden Henge 2.0 right after it was built. I took another picture this morning to show how abundant it has become, but can't get the picture to transfer from phone to computer. Perhaps later when he gets home, he can help me upload a current picture to this thread.

Sorry to babble on about my urban garden, but I just wanted to share this one idea. Home is where your garden grows. The place you cultivate, no matter how harsh it may seem to be, will grow and prosper if you believe it will and can.

Much Love,
Leona
leona910 leona910

Re: For the love of gardening

Here is Garden Henge as of the fall equinox.

Re: For the love of gardening

Nice!  Leona, is it not possible to put some kind of shade netting over garden henge for the days that the sun is very fierce?
leona910 leona910

Re: For the love of gardening

Glad you asked.

The plan for fall is to place a dome over the central hub made of netting and covered with a heavy gauge plastic to extend the growing season. Should it snow and cover my garden, the plants in the central hub should remain warm, while the pentagons will be covered with glass to act as cold frames for the purpose of growing sprouts. This spring I will be digging up the back portion of the yard for 36" deep beds to grow potatoes, corn and chickpeas.

While I am a bit concerned about the potential for solar activity beyond what we are accustomed to, I hope to be able to continue to garden outside for a year or two more. However, this winter I will be installing some full spectrum lighting in the attic to experiment with hydroponics and indoor gardening for the possibility that the sun may become too strong for plants to thrive. Not to mention, while I hope it doesn't come to it in the US, there may come a time when we may not be able to openly grow our own food. So for the sake of my family I will commit the criminal act of growing wholesome, non-genetically modified food in the attic.

My personal belief is that the incoming frequencies of light, be they from a more active sun or from the area of space that our solar system is entering will be advantageous for those that are prepared for the new reality. I don't know what form the new reality will take, but I do know that as things pick up speed in the changing, some people will not be able to handle the new frequencies as the realities split and the path we are on will be separated from the devastation that might otherwise be experienced.

I pray deeply each day that our transition as a species will be as gentle as possible. As for me and mine we are assuming we will be ok, unless life shows us otherwise. Thoughts being things, I try not to buy into the saber rattling and fear generation machine. If I give the psuedo controllers my thoughts and fears to work with, then I cannot aim my thoughts towards a greater good and a finer reality.

Re: For the love of gardening

Looks like you have a great plan there Leona.  And yes, homegrown food!  Yes!  Control over our own bodies and health.

Hydroponics are really nice and one can do it cheaply.  I've heard that the led lighting now works very well and it is sure cheaper than conventional lights, in price as well as in energy.  But still, it does not have the same feeling as gardening in the ground.  The permaculturists always say that they do not farm, they garden.  There is just something about the smell of the soil that is something else.

Re: For the love of gardening

I don't like Alex Jones much (slipping in too much of his own agenda which may be suspect in some areas) .. but this is some interviewing about what is happening with food in the US.  Same thing is happening with herbal medications in Europe.  Other countries?  well, big agribusiness is in there and all things food is becoming a battle zone - total control.   The way to 'fight this' is to create so many gardens that no-one can control it.

Re: For the love of gardening

Leona, some while ago I came across this system of vertical hydroponics.  My thoughts at the time was that this could perhaps be started outside and then taken inside if necessary.   The site is not very informative, mostly about selling the little ebook which I have if you are interested.

http://www.mygroponics.com/
leona910 leona910

Re: For the love of gardening

Yes, I would be interested in reading it. If you like you can email me a link. If I decide to use the process I will send photos so you can see the results.

Love Ya,
Leona

PS. How is Bon doing? You haven't posted anything on his progress lately that I have seen. Hope he is still recovering nicely and as always you and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.

Re: For the love of gardening

Aargh, I've looked everywhere and cannot find the small vertical 'groponics' ebook.  I bought it at George Ure's site .. www.urbansurvival.com but it is now available at http://www.mygroponics.com/

Here are a few other links that I've gathered, mainly around making one's own hydroponic feeding solutions.

http://scienceinhydroponics.com/
http://www.home.aone.net.au/~hydroponics/formula.html

and Reality Sandwich has a good article about "'Two Agricultures", describing the intense 'feed the family garden system' and contrasting with bigger land and the differences in approach.  http://www.realitysandwich.com/two_agricultures_not_one
What is left out in this article is use of water.  Having read widely about what is happening to our fresh water supplies, natural gas well drilling processes just using masses of fresh water from rivers, streams and groundwater, contaminating it and dumping it forever contaminated in contained wells, it is clear that availability of good water is beginning to show as a real problem.   How to use and even 'create water rich environments' could still be the best contribution from the permaculture milieu.  Hydroponics also uses little water, so, this is a good way to go.

Re: For the love of gardening

At my new home, there seems to be a whole mess of empty gardening pots of various sizes and shapes scattered here and there.  I'm gathering all the pots together to start a herb garden and lettuce garden in a sunny corner.  This corner forms somewhat of a microclimate - nice and warm, but with mottled shade from a grape vine and a sweet smelling little white flower vine near by.  Seems to me an excellent combination .. sweet smelling flowers for bees and butterflies, mottled shade for keeping herbs and sweet baby lettuce from direct sunlight, and just outside the back door - good permaculture.

The signs of winter are beginning to show here in the desert.  The lemon tree has a wonderful ripe crop, there are a few more trees with fruits that I do not recognize.  One is a type of bitter orange generally used for marinades and salad dressings.  Must find a way to get some of this in bottles!