Permaculture - Greening the Desert & Water Harvesting

Sally V Sally V

Permaculture - Greening the Desert & Water Harvesting

RichardAC RichardAC

Re: Permaculture - Greening the Desert & Water Harvesting

Hi Sally, thanks for these videos - they really embody some of the fundamental principles of permaculture.  that is .. to keep the water in the land (not just on), design a vibrant, self irrigating growing environment, stop chemical fertilizers and sprays that deposit excess salts and kill the soil, use organic mulches to promote humus and hold moisture.

The swale and berm method of "harvesting" water is totally applicable to any land area - not just for recovering depleted desert environments - just that the effects in the desert are very dramatic and illustrate well the potential.  You can use these techniques on your small holding or even your suburban lot to capture rainwater, create water gardens, and store water in your land by not letting it "run away" :)

So why is this important? - well, in our personal and collective evolution, not all of us will vacate our terrestrial presence.  And those of us who don't have to engage with Gaia and help her come right - return to sustainable agriculture, regenerate the soil, and conserve water and produce food more effectively than we ever have before.  The techniques described in these videos are some of the tools to do so.

In our role as spiritual warriors, Gaia is there to join the fray - as a resource, as an ally, as mother to us all, as part of universe and all that is.  Just as we need to integrate our warrior-ship with the "Rolling White Light", which seems to be joining us in the struggle, so must we join with Gaia and work together to put the dark side into it's more appropriate place in our evolutionary process and future.

For those that are interested in further reading on some of these techniques, in not too technical terms, have a look at "Gaia's Garden"
http://www.amazon.com/Gaias-Garden-Guide-Home-Scale-Permaculture/dp/1890132527
An excellent starting point.

Also see The Permaculture Research Institute of Australia, the mother of Permaculture started by Bill Mollison and David Holmgren and now championed by Geoff Lawton, the narrator in these videos.  They are also the world certifying body for Permaculture Training and Certification.
http://permaculture.org.au/

And if you want a quick overview of permaculture, check our library here, at QLC, for:
"Tools for Living - What is Permaculture?" - a brief .pdf overview.

Namaste,

Richard