Permaculture and the Egg of Life

RichardAC RichardAC

Permaculture and the Egg of Life

This post was updated on .
In my Personal Cosmology, I promised an explanation of Bill Mollinson's Permaculture - A Designers' Manual Cover Picture.  I love the image and the story is SO nice!

Here is his Cover Story:

The  great oval of the design represents the egg of life; that quantity of life which cannot be created or destroyed, but from within which all things that live are expressed.  Within the egg is coiled the rainbow snake, the Earth-shaper of Australian and American aboriginal peoples.

“We have a legend that explains the formation of the hills, the rivers and all the shapes of the land.  Every time it rains and I see a beautiful rainbow, I am reminded of the legend of the Rainbow Serpent...

“In the beginning the earth was flat, a vast grey plain.  As the Rainbow Serpent wound his way across the land, the movement of his body heaped up the mountains and dug troughs for the rivers.  With each thrust of his huge multi-coloured body, a new land form was created.

“At last, tired with the effort of shaping the earth, he crawled into a waterhole.  The cool water washed over his vast body, cooling and soothing him...  Each time the animals visited the waterhole, they were careful not to disturb the Rainbow Serpent, for although they could not not see him, they knew he was there.  Then one day, after a huge rainstorm, they saw him.  His huge coloured body was arching from the waterhole, over the tree tops, up through the clouds, across the plain to another waterhole.

“To this day, the Aborigines are careful not to disturb the Rainbow Serpent, as they see him, going across the sky from one waterhole to another.”

(From Gulpilil's Stories of the Dreamtime, compiled by Hugh Rule and Stuart Goodman, published by William Collins, Sydney, 1979)

Within the body of the Rainbow Serpent is contained the tree of life, which itself expresses the general pattern of life forms, as further elaborated in the chapter on patterns in this book.  Its roots are in earth, and its crown in rain, sunlight and wind.  Elemental forces and flows shown external to the oval represent the physical environment, the sun, and the matter of the universe; The materials from which life on earth is formed.  The whole cycle and form is dedicated, as is this book, to the complexity of life on Earth.

And here is Bill's dedication of his Permaculture "Bible": Permaculture - A Designers' Manual - written when he published the second edition of the manual, 21 years ago!  It's relevance has only grown!

"This book is about designing sustainable human settlements, and preserving and extending natural systems.  It covers aspects of designing and maintaining a cultivated ecology in any climate:  the principles of design; design methods; understanding patterns in nature; climatic factors; waste; soils; earthworks' techniques and strategies in the different climatic types; aquaculture; and the social, legal, and economic design of human settlement.

"It calls into question not only the current methods of agriculture but also the very need for a formal food agriculture if wastelands and the excessive lawn culture within towns and cities are devoted to food production and small livestock suited to local needs.

"The world can no longer sustain the damage caused by modern agriculture, monocultural forestry, and thoughtless settlement design, and in the near future we will see the end of wasted energy, or the end of civilization as we know it, due to human-caused pollution and climate changes.

"Strategies for the necessary changes in social investment policy, politics itself, and towards regional or village serf-reliance are  now desperately needed, and examples of these strategies are given.  It is hoped that this manual will open the global debate that must never end, and so give a guide to the form of a future in which our children have at least a chance of a reasonable existence."

I honor Bill and his visionary approach to making the world sustainable and at peace with the Universe once again.

I have lots of information on Permaculture methods and principles with links to downloads, movies, ebooks, etc.  If anyone has a specific interest, please let me know on private mail (or post here if you think it is of interest to others) and I will be glad to try and help you enlighten yourself.

saltydawgg@gmail.com

Re: Permaculture and the Egg of Life

SaltyDawg,

Please feel free to add whatever you deem appropriate.

We are coming into wholeness with the earth, we only see this in small areas at present.  We are standing on the eve of massive change.  My sense is that we are going to learn from the earth and that age-old wisdom is contained in the earth.  It is up to us to listen and look closely, so that we can receive this wisdom.

If you have the time, give us a small course... tell us of some of the miracles that the permaculturists are learning.   I was interested in one of things that you said to me, the one of creating a mini-tropical environment just with the placement of water, trees and other land forms.