This one is for Peter - Flying Dirigibles

This one is for Peter - Flying Dirigibles

"The company is developing a piloted dirigible capable of carrying loads of up to 150 tonnes over distances as great as 2,000km (1,240 miles) at a speed of 45 knots (83kph). This would permit the craft to transport not just hefty components, but entire buildings, to remote areas. The company envisages modules ranging from rural hospitals and disaster-relief centres to luxury airborne cruise ships."

Enjoy!

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=12732

Xavier Hermes Xavier Hermes

Re: This one is for Peter - Flying Dirigibles

Yes, I saw this a couple of days back - quite a radical approach to airships / aerostats.  My thought is this - have you ever seen how unstable a conventional parachute with a person hanging below is?  The man swings around a great deal as the parachute descends.  Although it is aerodynamically stable vertically, it is very unstable horizontally.  This aerostat configuration is very similar to the parachutist.  It is going to require some pretty sophisticated control systems to stop the pilot module from swinging around the sky wildly, I think.   Since the main appeal of this system is what one might call 'flying crane' applications, precise control will be essential if it is to be practical in a wide range of weather conditions

Also, I suspect that, in practice, this will not be a good system for actually travelling across country (which the flying crane also needs to do to maximise it's effectiveness).  Although the disc is great, aerodynamically speaking, the rest of it really is not.  All those suspension wires, for instance, will have huge drag.

Their promotional material shows some pretty delicate manoevering operations being performed - only in dead still air methinks!  A long way to go between vision and realisation!

The very best operating shape for an airship closely mimics the outline of a fish (seen in plan) - say a trout as a good model.  Or, if it is to go really fast, the same but reversed (for reasons of laminar flow, which I can explain if anyone is interested).

Still, I shall be interested to see what progress they make.

Peter
Our task is to recognise our divinity as an immortal spirit: and to consciously manifest that divinity at the core of this physical incarnation.